Monday, November 7, 2011

New Subtitle?

I feel like my blog should have a new subtitle, as I have been doing so much more with food lately. More than sewing projects. I tried and tried to find a pattern to knit or crochet a simple short sleeved cardigan sweater, but was not successful in that. The next day I went to a clothing exchange with my friends and found 2 such sweaters!! Yeah! No craftiness necessary. Although if you are interested in hosting a clothing exchange, here is the basic idea: Sew Green.

I tried cooking with tofu this weekend. I bought a large (for me, normal for others) box of tofu. I only used about 1/3 for the Creamy Orange Poppyseed Dressing I made, and wasn't sure what to do with the rest. I've never bought tofu before this week. I've never wanted to try tofu before now. I still don't think I want to try it as a little cube or plain, but blended works quite nicely!

So, a new recipe for you all...

Sort of Scalloped Potatoes

2 large russet potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 thick slices of ham, cubed
salt
pepper
onion (I used minced...but you can chop some up if you'd like)
garlic
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan
2/3+ package of tofu...sorry, not sure what size the package was...
water

~Blend tofu and water (approximately: 2 parts tofu, 1 part water)
~Layer food in crock pot: 1/2 veggies/ham, seasonings, 1/2 cheeses, 2/2 veggies/ham, seasonings, 2/2 cheeses...pour blended tofu over all.
~Set to high for 2-4 hours or until veggies are tender, or low for the day (while you are at work)

(I'm adding corn to the leftovers...you could also add: colored peppers chopped, peas, ...)

Well, enjoy!!

1 comment:

Dreena said...

Hi Anna, this is Dreena from eat, drink & be vegan blog. You won the Nasoya giveaway, please e-mail me at dreenaburton@gmail.com by this Wed (16th) to claim your goodies. :) thanks.