Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Whoa! Where Did That Idea Come From?

To a lot of people who know us, the announcement that we were pursuing an adoption has come as a shock. No warning, no previous conversations, just a quick message that it was "in the process". Well, let me bring you into our adoption thoughts timeline.
  • March 2010 - our beautiful L was born.
  • November/December 2010 - an acquaintance was finishing up their adoption journey...well, I guess the process doesn't end with the bringing home of your child, but for this purpose we'll say it did. :)
  • March 2011 - another acquaintance finishes (their blog being private, I will not share it with you.).
  • September 2010->May 2011 - I studied Isaiah and near the end it our study referred to a passage I was becoming familiar with: James 1:27 . I had been reading James in repeat as suggested at A Holy Experience.
  • March 2011 - a friend tells me her family is starting their adoption journey.
  • April 2011 - Kevin's sister says she is looking into adoption, as a single mother.
How many times could I see people living out James 1:27 and not want to be a part of that ministry? It would be perfect...we're not sure if we want to have more of our own flesh children, but we're not sure if we should be "done". I have wondered how I could bring more children into the world when there were so many needing loving families. We talked about it some, but Kevin didn't think the timing was right. I agreed, L had just turned 1 and I was just starting to breath a little easier. ;) I will admit, I often get overwhelmed. I know that adoption will stretch me and may be more overwhelming than having a birth - 3 month old and toddler. But I also know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13)!! I know that God has put this desire on my heart (Ps. 37:4).
  • May 2011 - We were asked to consider adopting M, brother of Z whom Aunt C is working towards adopting.
I told Kevin about this option. We talked about it on the way to my parents' house for the weekend. We decided that we would pursue M's adoption. We didn't know how far we would get into it. We knew there was another family also interested in M's adoption. We knew that adoptions in SL are rare to impossible. But we know that God has a plan in this. If it is just to open our hearts to adoption, if it is just to learn to pray more... Ok, that was my thinking a couple weeks ago...now, I'm more on the he'll be in our family, it's just a matter of when! Hahaha.
  • June 2011 - We were chosen (between 2 families) to continue in the adoption process.
  • June 2011 - You all know, and now you are in the waiting game with us!
All of the sudden for you, gradual building process for us.

Also, something mentioned in our Sunday School class about James...James can be seen as a very "works to earn salvation" oriented book. So, I want to end with this verse:

Ephesians 2:8-10
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

No comments: