Sunday, August 28, 2011

Coffee Table Trauma

Well, we had our first coffee table trauma, in 3 1/2 years of children in our house. You know the real risk factor!? A mattress next to the coffee table. You think jumping on a mattress that is directly on the floor isn't so bad? Well, consider what is surrounding that safe jumping mattress. ;)

We had been moving some furniture around in the girls' bedroom and the spare mattress was on the living room floor. I was in the kitchen trying to get motivated to clean some of it, Kevin was at the neighbors trying to recover some waterlogged rummage sale donations, and Kj was jumping on the mattress. I had been holed up in the girls room arranging their new drawers and getting things together in there, so hadn't noticed anything wrong with the jumping. So, I didn't think anything was wrong. I heard Kj cry out and I thought she was being dramatic as she has been lately. I go in and her hair is matted in back, not sure what to do I call out for Kevin...if you remember he is next door...Thankfully, after waiting a bit, I pick Kj up and bring her to our new window (which now opens) and call again. I often call for Kevin so he also doesn't see urgency in my calls, so I had to tell him to really hurry while keeping Kj calm, with L underfoot the whole time...thought about sending her out to get Kevin. :) Do you think it would have worked??

Anyways, we made a Skype call to Nurse Nana, and then drove around town to a couple acute cares, which of course closed at 5, and weren't easily found online to try to decipher that ahead of time. Then headed back home, remembering that we have a 24 hour nurse hotline. Kj still had occasional tears, but she had been singing along to some of the songs we sang in the car, she hadn't been constantly crying, her eyes were fine, she could remember her phone number...so, we figured that we could just use the phone instead of using our yearly deductible.

We told Kj in the car that we would get out some frozen peas to put on her head for a bit. She started crying all over again, "NO, I want to eat them." Umm...ok, we could do that too. She didn't even bring up the ice cream that Nurse Nana had suggested. :)

I remember Aunt C. saying that she had brought a child to the clinic in Sierra Leone. An American friend had gone along as well. They thought the child might like ice cream after all the doctor's poking and prodding, but instead he wanted rice. So rice, ice cream, or frozen peas...What is your comfort food??

No comments: