Monday, February 29, 2016

Spinning School

Inspired by the books about Martha Morse of Ireland:

We have found a few series of books about the lady ancestors of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  The first set about Martha Morse by Melissa Wiley is historical fiction.  The stories speak so much of spinning and weaving, that it peaked my interest.  The girls have been learning to crochet and so they became interested in spinning as well (and later crocheting the product). 

So, we know a few people with sheep and alpaca and I asked around to see if any would have any wool or fleece to sell to us for our experimenting.  Our friends with alpaca had an unused spinning wheel, just waiting to be learned on and so they invited us over for an afternoon of learning.  We checked out start spinning at the library and a few resources online at:  http://joyofhandspinning.com/.  Kevin's dad made us 2 drop spindles, and our friends provided the alpaca fleece.  I forgot to bring the camera along for the day, but here is the product of our efforts. 


A couple friends with sheep wool were going to let us buy some in the spring.  What fun I've had.  I'll be on the lookout for carders of our own (also found you can use dog grooming combs).  I promised Kj the use of the yarn I am spinning.  It will be fun to see what she comes up with!  





No comments: