Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hearing Loss?


So, Kj is going through a bought of hearing loss. Kevin and I are testing it out trying to decide if it is a phase and intentional, or if it is something to get checked out. Some things we have tried:

  • Talking about M&Ms and cake quietly at the same table as Kj
  • Giving directions softly vs. loudly
  • Making sure she is looking directly at us
  • Asking her to repeat things (she often repeats something from a couple directions ago)
Today, not as a matter of testing, but just out of habit, I sang the girls a song before laying them down for their afternoon nap. I have the words sitting on the dresser so that I can memorize the hymn (at least the 1st verse), and I sang it from there while Kjersten was climbing into bed. "Mama," she looks at me, "Are you going to sing that song?" Kjersten, I already did. Didn't you hear me? "No." Hmm...she wouldn't intentionally not hear that. That was my big confirmation.

So, I contacted a nurse friend that works with kids, and she said that if she doesn't improve by the end of the week we should bring her in...

No comments: