Monday, January 23, 2012

Four Thumbs Up!

It is not often that a meal at our house gets 4 thumbs up and seconds/thirds are requested by all. I found a few new recipes that weren't extravagant in some magazines that my grandma sent my way. So, today, I made 2 of them.


Tomato Green Bean Soup (so flavorful!!) was the main course, with popcorn on the side (I can't remember where I got that idea, but it went over really well!!). For dessert we had Pecan Sticky Muffins...the gluten-less, dairy-free variety. I made my own alterations after researching the proper use of xanthan gum. Here is the result:


PECAN STICKY MUFFINS

2 cups millet flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
TOPPING:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix non-topping ingredients together just until moistened. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Into each greased muffin cup (12 total), spoon 1 teaspoon butter, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 1 heaping tablespoon chopped pecans. Top each with 1/4 cup batter. Bake 25-30 minutes. Invert pan on to a piece of foil. Let stand 2 minutes, remove pan, serve warm!

Now I have to tell you that I had to throw away the first batch that I had mixed up...all but the vanilla was added. L was sitting on a stool beside me and decided to pour soapy water from a dirty 1 cup measuring cup into the recipe. I didn't know what I could do to save it, so I threw it away!! So sad. L was sad too. She cried when I told her that was a bad idea. :(

After eating a wonderfully filling supper and then some more, we decided to run a few errands. For the second time in a week or so I went to pick up my serger from repairs and the store was closed! We also stopped at the library for some much anticipated tax forms...then since we already had 1 sleeper, we headed to do one more errand...by the end of that errand, we had this upon our arrival at home:

No comments: