Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cold or Raw Pack Pears





Last weekend at Nana's house, she helped me with some cold packing.  It was very simple.  Since she had a dishwasher we sterilized and kept warm the jars in there.  I cut and cored but did not peel the pears.  Then, set some 100% apple juice on the stove to boil.  Once the lids were sterilized and the canning water was hot, we packed the pears in the jars, filled with boiling apple juice, got some bubbles out, covered and placed in the canning water.  The tip I learned was that you wait until the canner is blowing out steam before you set your timer for the processing time (25 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts).  Ta-da!  Last night I bought another lug, so I am hoping the end of the week will be a good time to can those too, and make some more pear jam!

No comments: