Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Cheering You On

This week, I am cheering on a cousin.  She will soon be staying home with her kids until they are all in school!  I know that she is not going into it blindly, because she had a long maternity leave.  Therefore, I don't feel as though I need to tell her that it is hard at times.  The thing she asked for were some good recipes. 

Food, I like food, and I have recipes.  So, I thought I would share some here.  As long as I am typing them out for her, I might as well share with whoever else is reading this. I'll start with 2 breakfast-y recipes.

Slow Cooker Honey Granola

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts)
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
(2 cups dried fruit, if desired)

In 3 qt slow cooker combine first 6 ingredients.  Cook, covered on high for 2 hours stirring well every 20 minutes. *in the places you didn't stir/scrape the sides, the oats will be burned*

Spread finished granola out to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.  Add desired fruit once granola is cooled.

---

Almond Oat (Berry) Bake - tweaked from GH Jan. 2015

(1)  Combine in a medium bowl:
2 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy, we use almond)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

(2)  Combine in the greased 2 quart baking dish:
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup (or more) chopped walnuts/pecans/almonds
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

(3)  Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients.

(4-optional)Top with:
1 cup blueberries
2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered

(5) Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes or until almost all the liquid has been absorbed.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Serve with vanilla yogurt if you'd like.

No comments: