Monday, June 6, 2016

Eating Salads

Well, starting at the end of our pictures and moving backwards right now.  We've hit the end of a crazy month full of travel, plans, days off, travel, foster daycare and newborn emergency foster care.  Wow!  We're hoping to get a little more rest in the next few weeks and be able to enjoy our family, house, yard, weather, etc. without too much extra or sudden excitement!

In the last year or so my parents have been reading and attempting to find the balance in a new way of eating introduced to them by their doctor.  They were given the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.  I was skimming the book a few weeks ago and getting healthy eating ideas from it.  I was almost done when I realized that it was a weight loss book, not exactly what my family needs, particularly my growing children.  I went home considering what to do, then remembered that Dr. J. Fuhrman had another book and it was at our library:  Disease-Proof Your Child - Feeding Kids Right.  The big thing here was being consistent.  Teaching your children why we're eating the way we are, splurging together as a treat, not pushing all the healthy food but modeling a lifestyle that you want them to maintain - for their health.   

We'd already been adding a wider variety of fruits and veggies into our routine thanks to membership-needed-bulk-food stores in the area.  (I'm not sure how we ever thrived on one bag of carrots and 2 peppers a week before we started our memberships!) 

Kevin has been consistently eating salads since my parents started their new eating routine and I gradually got into it, too.  I never expected the kids to eat salads, they just ate all the vegetables separately, dipping some but not all in a bit of dressing.  Well, a couple weeks ago L requested that I buy spinach, and this week Kj wanted to make a salad.  L joined right in.  They both found a little bowl, loaded it with chopped veggies, nuts, (...bacon bits), and L's favorite dressing and they ate a salad today!


Kind of fun...and yes, I'm bragging a bit...forgive me.

No comments: