Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blessed be the name of the LORD.

About a month and a half ago, I was in my sister-in-law's wedding. Being a married, quite pregnant, mother of a toddler, I didn't really get to know my groomsman/partner. But events of the last week have brought him to mind a lot.

Friday, he had a brain aneurysm while at the gym, followed by surgery and an induced coma. Our family was traveling to visit my other sister-in-law, and so we were updated by phone through my new brother-in-law, who had to stay behind to work.

Today, the following Wednesday, brought an email that this young man had died. He was strong and healthy and now he's gone. It brought to mind thoughts that you hear all the time..."Life is short." "Live in the moment." "Don't take things for granted." A verse written on my new brother-in-laws webpage: "The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." We don't know our lifespan, we don't know when the person next to us is going to be gone.

God truly only knows. It isn't a cruel thought. It is a glorious thought. While I think of the things that he and his family may miss out on...walking a wonderful young lady down the aisle, someone not a married, pregnant, mother of a toddler...graduating from college...among other life goals/happenings. God knows the opposite things he doesn't have to deal with. No more hurt, no more pain, no more disease, etc.

Of course, you can't go up to the family and tell them all that, can we? How do you connect with them, encourage them, comfort them? I guess, I personally don't have to know that answer for this young man's family, but my brother and sister-in-law need to know. Please, pray that they will have the words and actions to be near and dear to this family in their sadness. As a mama, I can only imagine that the pain of losing your "known" child is much worse, and longer lasting than losing your "dream" child.

"The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21

No comments: