Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Coconut Balls

I'll start the post with L's entertainment while I did some chocolate coating:


So, I decided that I would make a gluten-free sweet holiday treat, and coconut balls were ideal, because they are lactose-free as well. The fact that my grandma used to make them...or was it my aunt...and they were delicious also factored in. But I decided to add an almond as well, to make it a titch more exciting!

My recipe came from my very rarely used Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook. Rarely used because I rarely make cookies, but I had to have it because it was a cookbook that my mom kept in our house. Some things that your mom has you "just have to have"!


Something I would note about making the coconut balls themselves, is that I would make them in to balls before refrigerating. I think they would hold together better that way, although I didn't get a chance to test that.

My attempt at making the chocolate coating took forever. I do not have a double boiler (an example) and the glass bowl that I decided would be best I gave to my sister-in-law...Aunt A...I might be asking for that back if you don't use it! :) Well, anyways, it took me a long time and the chocolate never really made it to the consistency that I had imagined (a bit runny)... I spent hours on this. About an hour before supper and an hour after.

Here are my coated coconut balls...not pretty but yummy! I haven't actually taste tested the completed product, but I can assume.

Here is my "I'm not a cookie-maker...I am not interested in rolling any more of these coconut balls" product:

And here it is slathered with chocolate on top:

No comments: