Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Domestic School Day

Ahh, what a day we had together.  Right now as 2 are in bed and Kevin and Kj are still out at a Bible study, I am smelling the final product of a days long work.  Mmm, the sourdough bread is in it's last stage--the oven!

The kids and I had a very domestic school day today.  The girls had been gone for the weekend, the second in a row without parents and without a lot of free time at home.  So, we took a day to read, play, craft and cook.  Last week, I began a fresh sourdough starter.  This one is water and flour alone, no yeast, no sugar.  Today, was the day that I could finally bake some bread.  It is far more work than my last bread machine version of sourdough.  I fed the starter this morning and removed a bit for the bread sponge.  I then added water and flour, let rise, added more flour, let rise, divided it in 2, let rise, and put it in the oven.  It was an all day affair!

In between all of that, we:  read books, made twice baked potatoes and meatloaf, ate a leftover lunch, ran an errand, filled friendship bags (to hand out the night of October 31st--haven't settled on a name yet), played, read books, packaged individual portions of the food items for Grandma's birthday gift, vacuumed, biked to a friends house to make a delivery, read books, played...  I'd say that was a successful school day for all of us! 






P.S. Hope you don't mind, but I refrained from taking pictures of the girls working with the raw hamburger for meatloaf.

No comments: