Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Experiment

My husband and I decided to experiment on our daughter today. She doesn't seem to play much with her "toys" but plays for hours and hours with her books, looking through them and "reading" them etc. For those of you who don't know, our daughter is currently 10.5 months old. She loves her board books, especially Dr. Suess' ABCs.

Ok, so our experiment. We took all the books out of the living room last night after she had gone to bed. She usually stays in the living room when I am in there during the day (and since I am having a few couch-days, I'm here a lot). We just wanted to see how long she would be happy with her toys.

7.35 AM
...Breakfast is done and it is time to play.
7.45 AM...She finds HyVee ads and pages through those. It looks like a book, just isn't as hard as her board books. Loves it until she rips off the cover.
7.50 AM...Kevin leaves for work.
8.00 AM...She starts to leave the room she is "so bored"!
8.01 AM...I bring out the blocks to see how long that will last for her.
8.11 AM...She is done with the blocks. I think they make her mad. She shoves the box aside and tries to find something else of interest. She finds some books on a shelf and stands by a chair and claps while eying them. She sits on my lap and we look at 1 book...not her favorite, time to move on. She finds her "Mr. Giraffe" stuffed animal and cuddles with him and sucks her thumb..."is this torture ever going to end?"
8.30 AM...Finds a little more to play with...
8.35 AM...Nothing more of interest in here..."I'm leaving for good this time"...Kj heads toward her room...where her books are "hidden". I don't know if she actually knew they were there??
9.00 AM...Kj is still looking at the top 3 favorite books in her bin. "Hop on Pop", "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", "Dr. Suess ABCs". Paging through, rereading...

The next experiment. Remove all the toys from the room and see if she gets bored..."Ask me tomorrow and not today." ~Dr. Suess.

Ooh, 9.00 1/2 AM...Kj moved beyond her box of books and is playing with a toy...

9.10 AM...Back to the books!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

your child is so sweet and cute!!!
yy

Shaina said...

She is so unbelievably adorable! Zoe hardly ever picks up her books. Maybe I should try this experiment but see what she does if I put her toys away and just keep the books out!