Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gluten/Lactose Free Progress

Day -1:
  • ate an ice cream parfait on the way to Nana and Bumpa's to pick up the girls from a fun weekend
  • drank a medium sized glass of milk
  • felt YUCKY!
  • talked to Aunt C. about recent lactose problems...she mentioned a friend with a newly found gluten intolerance...
  • researched gluten intolerance
Day 0:
  • researched gluten intolerance
  • decided that tomorrow was Day 1 of the Gluten and Lactose free me.
  • put together a supper recipe for tomorrow with lots of yummy things including gluten and lactose...tested it...YUMM!!
Day 1:
  • random rice, applesauce, hard-boiled egg breakfast.
  • music with the girls.
  • grocery store run to get "bread" aka corn tortillas, "milk" aka coconut milk, and snacks...
  • Lunch
  • naptime
  • Aunt A comes and plays with the girls
  • run to the grocery store to get my own version of the above mentioned yummy supper
  • ruin my version of supper by putting corn tortillas and it is so much spicier that I get bad heartburn (I have never cared for corn tortillas...that will have to be an acquired taste for me)
  • made brownies with brown rice flour! Great dessert!
  • went out to get some wedding registry items for our family and Aunt R.
  • checked the grocery section of that store too
  • reminded by Aunt R. that there are lots of cereals (some of which are sitting on our fridge) that are gluten free!
Results of Day 1: Still nauseous but no distension of the stomach. Also, started getting an earache and possibly sore throat...that would be sickness #4 in 4 weeks.

Day 2:
  • light-headed the past few mornings...need more food! I've been losing weight recently, well, I guess for the past year according to my recent physical
  • Kix, coconut milk, banana breakfast! This seems normal! (Disclaimer...Kix is not marketed as Gluten-Free...so if you should read the label...I think it is, but there might have been a couple questionable ingredients...so double-check)
  • found that french dressing is GF
  • had a conversation with my doctor's nurse and the receptionist...can't make an appointment until November...but I don't feel good NOW! What to do??
  • made GF chili (very mild though as I am realizing that currently spicy/peppery things give me heartburn...if I even know what heartburn is)
Results of Day 2: Still nauseous, but maybe getting better. (middle of the night pain in my throat!! trying not to go to the doctor this week!!)

Day 3:
  • Corn Chex are GF although the generic brands are not...at least the generic that I looked at...
  • feeling like I am eating "normal" meals and really healthy at the same time. More vegetables for sure!
  • called a friend to ask who her doctor was, had a good talk with her
  • hung up the phone and the phone rang, thought it was her calling back, it was my doctor's office...my doctor is making a "special" appointment time for me on Monday next week!!!!
  • YEAH! God answered that quandary!! And I didn't even have to call them again!
  • took a nap this afternoon and woke up feeling awful...had a snack...felt better after a bit
  • have I said yet, no nausea today!!
Results of Day 3: No nausea!!! Upon further reflection about the after nap awful...that happens no matter what...naps, especially the longer ones are not always good to wake up from! Pain in my throat is turned into a right earache. Glad that I will be able to see my doctor on Monday. Craved a really good hamburger (w/ bun of course)!! I don't feel too saddened by what I have given up...except the extra money at the grocery store. Hahaha...

I will leave you with a yummy GF recipe!

Banana Bread

1 3/4 c. brown rice flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c. canola oil
2-3 bananas

Mix, place in well-greased loaf pan, bake 350 degrees for about an hour.
or 12 muffins: 20-25 min.
Double recipe and bake in bundt pan!

(Can't believe bundt is not in my "dictionary"...I just added it)

No comments: