Monday, February 9, 2015

Weekly Book Post??

I am wondering if I should start a weekly book post.  I have written twice previously about some excellent historical books for kids.  I keep coming across more and thought that I should keep recording them.

Here are a couple of biographies that we read this week:

(1)  Louisa The Life of Louisa May Alcott
Written by:  Yona Zeldis McDonough, illustrated by: Bethanne Andersen

Included after the biography are a few early poems, quotes on subjects such as her childhood and work, a recipe and important dates in her life.

(2)  Louis Braille The Blind Boy Who Wanted to Read
Written by: Dennis Fradin, illustrated by: Robert Sauber

Did you know that he was 15 years old when he invented the Braille system?  There were so many people who were not for this system, including the founder of the blind institute that he attended and later taught at.  Many of his early books were burned and had to be re-copied.

Kj is reading so well now.  The last couple of weeks that we've gone to the library, we have spent at least an hour there.  We find a place to park all of our things and then go back and forth from there to find books and look through them.  This last time, I would go find a book, bring it back, and by the time I came back, Kj was reading that book.  She did not move from her seat, but kept going through the books that I found.  :)  L alternates between corralling Mn, finding a book for him and looking through books of her own. 

No comments: