Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mama's Day Off

Kevin took the girls to see his aunt and cousin today and I stayed at home. I finished reading my book, washed a few of the dishes, folded a couple clothes, remembered to eat lunch, and SEWED!! It was a very relaxing, enjoyable day. I, finally, after two years, took a "know your serger" class at the store from which I bought my serger. Yeah!! I was a little nervous, but it went very well. Apparently, there is a continuation of the class, and I am eagerly awaiting the announcement as to its date!

My picture from class:
I wanted to remember the settings for the narrow overlock stitch. I ended up not even needing this picture today, because I also wrote down a few notes on the page in my manual. I used that stitch as well as other fun things I learned to make semi-professional looking attire for my daughters and their friend H.

My first project is the long skirt shown above. I was gifted a large bag of material from a friend who was cleaning out her stock. The waist-band looks better coordinated in person...although it is a wacky coordination...meant mainly for little girls. :) The little skirt I made last with the leftovers from the first.

Next, I used the top half of a 3T polka-dot shirt (it had a few stains on the front) and attached some fun fabric to the bottom. This I found at a rummage sale last summer. It looked somewhat like a nightgown, so I added to it...

In some round about way I found a sight called:
Thank you, Me Sew Crazy!
And they had a fun belt that I thought I would try. I was actually going to try the dress itself first, but the belt seemed to go with this particular dress. With, of course, a few adjustments, I came up with this:

So, here is my little beauty, Kj. Her daddy thought maybe she could wear it to church tomorrow...Nope, too cold!!

My next project will be making a much liked long sleeve shirt into a cardigan...it is the only way I could come up with to still use the shirt, although it was stained! I started some of the cutting, so I can serge again soon!!

*I have decided to try to add the buttons of the reference sites, if they have one...we'll see how that goes.

No comments: