Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Theory - Switching Recipes to Gluten-Free

The theory that I am testing in my baking...

1. Looking at "regular" or "glutenous" recipes, they seem to all have even measurements for the flour, and the gluten-free recipes seem to have odd measurements. Such as, 1 cup + 2 T. So, my idea for converting was to use 2 heaping cups of gluten-free flour in place of 2 cups flour.

I had previously just converted cup for cup and things seemed a bit doughy.

2. The next thing I am testing is baking time. I use the longer time because it seems like the gluten free things don't "solidify" as well. Or after a couple days they start to get soggy.

Using the combination of these 2 theories as well as this guide from on Gluten-Free basics:
  • Bread and pizza dough recipes: Add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum per cup of gluten-free flour used in bread and pizza dough recipes
  • Cake, muffin and quick bread recipes: Add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum per one cup of gluten-free flour used
  • Cookie and bar recipes: Add 1/2 teaspoon (or less) xanthan gum or guar gum per one cup gluten-free flour used

I have had success 2 times! Zucchini Bread, and Applesauce Muffins.

No comments: