Friday, July 6, 2012

D's Food Questions #1

Before I start, I was once told if an email is longer than a paragraph, you should blog it.  Well, some are too personal for that, and others maybe should be blogged, if others may benefit from that as well...right?!

I got a reference from a friend that I was good at finding food alternatives and figuring out food things...so, a friend emailed with her question:

Summary:  She is having difficulty with hard boiled eggs, oats, milk (allergy confirmed), some fresh fruits/veggies, peanut butter (migraines)...keeps cutting more things out of her diet, but needs to add to be able to continue breastfeeding

Some thoughts and questions:

Do you keep a food journal?  I was told to write down what I ate and also how I felt before, after, and in-between times.  This way when/if you do see an allergist or someone they can look at all that information too.  I read a book called the Body Ecology Diet and it shares a lot about how to combine foods to balance out your insides (pretty much).  It is very interesting and it is at the library.  Also, here is an article about beneficial bacteria.  It might have something to do with your stomach troubles.  You could try a probiotic, or kefir.

Eggs...is it all eggs, can you have them in things?  Have you tried other kinds/ways, such as yoke only, white only, scrambled, in baked goods, mayo...

Veggies...do cooked veggies give you troubles?  Can you eat salads?

Fruits...I have read that fruits are best eaten alone as they digest very quickly and can get blocked in your system by other foods causing discomfort, etc.  Meaning eat a snack of solely fruits...I sometimes do this...but not always...(from:  Body Ecology Diet book)...do they bother you in a smoothie?  A smoothie may be easier to digest as all the foods are pureed.

Milk...is it a milk allergy or lactose intolerance?  Have you tried Silk coconut milk (yum)?  It contains more calcium than 2% milk, less calories, but...  So, no butter then?

Nut Butter Alternatives...  Great Harvest Bread Store has various other nut butters and they will give you a sample if you would like.  The pepita seed nut butter is delicious.  You could ask for a sample and then head out for a bit to see if you have a reaction, if not, go and buy some!  :)  Also, hummus is good with crackers/bread/sandwiches.  Here are two recipes:  zippy/garlicy and sweet.  Homemade hummus is cheaper and you can even buy the dried beans, but... 

If you are wanting to add more protein, you can go to this previous post.

P.S.  Keep in mind:  I do not have any medical training in allergies/intolerances, I've just done a lot of reading.  If you think my information is incorrect, please comment on this post and I will make changes!


No comments: